JDi Design Adopts the Designers Accord
JDi Design is committed to the following 4 steps in implementing the Designers Accord.
For full Designers Accord information, resources, history, and more, visit www.designersaccord.org.
STEP 1: Review the Call to Action
We ask all adopters, globally, to proactively engage in a dialogue about environmental impact with each and every client and customer, and to integrate sustainable alternatives in their work. By collectively committing to having this conversation, we will compel businesses to evaluate sustainability as a key vector in decision-making for their products and services.
We promote openly sharing knowledge and experience about green design and sustainability. We believe building environmental intelligence should be a collective exercise. For this cause, we advocate inverting the traditional model of competition, and encourage pooling knowledge so that all may benefit and build on marketable and sustainable solutions. We believe this will lead to greater innovation.
STEP 2: Internalize the Code of Conduct
- Do no harm
- Communicate and collaborate
- Keep learning, keep teaching
- Instigate meaningful change
- Make theory action
STEP 3: Agree to adopt the Guidelines for Design Firms
1. Publicly declare participation in the Designers Accord.
2. Initiate a dialogue about environmental impact and sustainable alternatives with each and every client. Rework client contracts to favor environmentally responsible design and work processes. Provide strategic and material alternatives for sustainable design.
3. Undertake a program to educate your teams about sustainability and sustainable design.
4. Measure the carbon/greenhouse gas footprint of your firm (includes operations and client engagements), and pledge to reduce your footprint annually. (All Adopters will be asked to submit their footprint assessments on an annual basis to a committee made up of impartial supporters, including representatives from AIGA and IDSA.)
5. Advance the understanding of environmental issues from a design perspective by contributing actively to the communal knowledge base for sustainable design.
STEP 4: Formalize your adoption of the Designers Accord
The Designers Accord is a wholly inclusive initiative, and we invite all members of the creative community to take part in this dialogue. By design, the barrier to entry for adopting is low. However, we know that it is important that this call to action is more than a manifesto. We do ask adopters to demonstrate their adherence to the guidelines by annually providing evidence of their commitment to an external committee of impartial supporters (including representatives from AIGA and IDSA), and by participating in the community conversation about the Designers Accord.